Requests for access to records and for other information about those records are known as “subject access requests” and are made to the person or organisation (the “data controller”) who you think is processing (holding, disclosing or using) the information to which you want access. Personal data may take the form of computerised or, in some cases, paper records.

If you want to know whether information is held about you and if so what, you will need to write to the person or organisation you believe holds the information. This is known as a “subject access request”. You should ask for a copy of all the information held about you to which the Act applies.

Subject Access Request To The Home Office, UKVI

A subject access request can be made to the Home Office, UKVI to get a copy of all the documents, information, records, decisions, notes etc which the Home Office is holding about you in their data base. Anyone can make a Subject Access Request (SAR) for information that the UKBA hold about them. To make a Subject Access Request (SAR), you must provide:

  • a cheque or postal order for £10, payable to 'The Home Office Accounting Officer'; and
  • sufficient personal information to enable the UKBA to uniquely identify you - for example, a copy of your passport or driver's licence, original utility bills, and your Home Office reference number if you have one.

All requests must be made in writing and signed.

A standard Subject Access Request must include a copy of photo identification. This must be certified by a solicitor; barrister; legal executive; legal representative registered with the Office of the Immigration Service Commissioner (OISC); any other commissioner for oaths; or a registered charity. This should be certified with the words: “I certify that this is a true likeness of Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms (full name)” and include the name, date and signature of the person certifying the photo. 

If you just want the UKVI to provide you with a specific document, you can just ask us for that; this will make it easier, and probably quicker for the UKVI to respond to your request.

You should send your Subject Access Request (SAR) to the following address of the Home Office, UKVI:

    Subject Access Request Unit
    Lunar House
    40 Wellesley Road
    CR9 2BY

The UKVI recommends that you use their form to help you make a SAR, although you are entitled to submit a SAR without using the form if you prefer. You can download the subject access request (SAR) from the UKVI website. 

 A Subject Access Request (SAR) must be made in writing and an appropriate fee should be paid to the Home Office for the Home Office to comply with your request.

According to Data Protection Act, the Home Office, UKVI must process your request within 40 days from the date of receipt of your request. If the Home Office, UKVI fails to comply with Subject Access Request (SAR) within 40 days, their omission to comply with such request is considered as unlawful and can be challenged by way of Judicial Review (JR) in the Upper Tribunal.

Fast Track Pilot

The Fast Track pilot is a free service that is available to all customers enabling them to request their IT records, entry clearance records and landing cards information only. The pilot ran until 31 January 2016. The success of the pilot is currently being evaluated by the Home Office, UKVI. During this evaluation period, the Home Office, UKVI will continue to accept Fast Track applications.

Why Sunrise Solicitors For Subject Access Request (SAR)?

The immigration solicitors at Sunrise Solicitors are experts in dealing with Subject Access Request (SAR). TThe quality of our service is self-evident from clients' reviews about the service provided by our immigration lawyers. You can contact us if you are seeking legal help from immigration lawyers in London in relation to your Subject Access Request (SAR) and our immigration solicitors will provide you fast, friendly, reliable and professional immigration service.

If instructed to represent you regarding your Subject Access Request (SAR), the casework to be carried out by our immigration solicitors will include the following:

  • Taking detailed instructions from you and advising you about the relevant immigration laws and procedures to be adopted by the Home Office, UKVI in your Subject Access Request (SAR);
  • Discussing with you the main purpose of making Subject Access Request (SAR) and to what extent the purpose will be fulfilled by the Subject Access Request (SAR);
  • Completing the relevant application form for Subject Access Request (SAR);
  • Preparing a cover letter to introduce and support your Subject Access Request (SAR);
  • Submitting the Subject Access Request (SAR) to the Home Office, UKVI and liaising with the Home Office, UKVI for a timely response to your Subject Access Request (SAR);
  • Doing all the follow up work until decision is reached on your Subject Access Request (SAR) and you receive all the data held by the Home Office in their records;
  • Considering the contents of the information and data received from the Home Office and discussing the same with you in line with the purpose for which the Subject Access Request (SAR) was made.

Our Fee For Subject Access Request (SAR)

  • We will charge you a fee from £400.00 + VAT for our professional immigration services in relation to your application for Subject Access Request (SAR).
  • If you cannot afford to pay our fee in full at the time of instructing us in relation to your matter, you can pay half of the fee at the time of instructing us and balance fee can be paid by monthly instalments.
  • The agreed fee will cover all our work until decision by the Home Office, UKVI on the application. However, it is pertinent to note that the agreed fee will not cover any disbursements to be incurred by us on your behalf e.g. translation of documents, Home Office fee etc.

Sunrise Solicitors is the trading name of Sunrise Solicitors Ltd (company registration no. 6405492). Sunrise Solicitors Offices are regulated by SRA under SRA ID 490903 (London Office) and SRA ID 645256 (Manchester Office). Sunrise Solicitors are also members of Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA).


© Sunrise Solicitors 2019 | Privacy Policy