Following are the various frequently asked questions (FAQs) about fiance'(e) visa for the UK:

FAQs: Fiance'(e) Visa

An applicant for UK fiance'(e) visa should meet the following requirements of Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules:

  • meet the suitability criteria under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules;
  • have met the UK sponsor in person and should provide the evidence of the same;
  • prove the genuineness of the relationship of the applicant with the UK sponsor;
  • prove that he/she is free to marry, if he/she was previously married;
  • prove that his/her fiancé(e) satisfies the financial requirement of earning £18,600 (or above if there are non-British Children);
  • prove that the UK sponsor has adequate accommodation to accommodate the applicant without recourse to public funds;
  • prove that the applicant has passed the English language test at CEFR level A1 in listening and speaking only;
  • prove that the applicant and the UK sponsor intend to register their marriage in the UK during the validity of 6 months fiancé(e) visa;
  • must present at the time of application a valid medical certificate issued by a medical practitioner approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, as listed on the website, confirming that they have undergone screening for active pulmonary tuberculosis and that such tuberculosis is not present in the applicant.

Fiance'(e) visa is granted for a period of 6 months and the applicant should register his/her marriage with the UK sponsor within this 6 months period.

Upon registration of your marriage and before the expiry of your fiance'(e) visa, you can switch into leave to remain as a spouse from inside the UK.

No, you cannot change from another visa category to fiance'(e) visa from inside the UK. The applicant must apply for entry clearance for fiance(e) visa and must be outside the UK to submit the fiance'(e) visa application.

You can check the visa processing times online so that you know how long you’ll have to wait for a decision on your fiance'(e) visa application. You also have the option to apply under priority service whereby the application will be decided relatively faster and you will be required to pay an additional fee for the priority service.

You should meet the English requirement at level A1 of CEFR in listening and speaking only.

If your fiance'(e) visa application has been refused by the Home Office UKVI, you can challenge the refusal by way of an immigration appeal to the First Tier Tribunal. Thd deadline to file the appeal is 28 calendar days starting after the date you received the refusal letter.

Sunrise Solicitors is the trading name of Sunrise Solicitors Ltd (company registration no. 6405492). Sunrise Solicitors Offices are regulated by SRA under SRA ID 490903 (London Office) and SRA ID 645256 (Manchester Office). Sunrise Solicitors are also members of Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA).


© Sunrise Solicitors 2019 | Privacy Policy