Following are the various frequently asked questions (FAQs) about same partner visa/leave to remain under 10 years partner route:

FAQs: Same Sex Partner Visa (5 Years Route)

A same partner is a person who is in cohabiting relationship with another person of the same sex. According to Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules, a same sex partner of an applicant is a person who has been living together with the applicant in a relationship akin to a civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application.

The requirements for same sex partner visa are set out in Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. The requirements for the application include the following:

For the UK same sex partner visa to be granted, the applicant must:

  • meet the suitability criteria under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules;
  • have been cohabiting with the UK sponsor for at least 2 years, living in a realationship akin to a civil partnership;
  • The applicant's and sponsor's relationship with any previous partner must have broken down irretrievably, if either of them was previously in relationship;
  • prove the genuineness of the relationship of the applicant with the UK sponsor;
  • prove that the UK sponsor satisfies the financial requirement of earning £18,600 gross per annum (or above if there are non-British Children)
  • prove that the UK sponsor has adequate accommodation to accommodate the applicant without recourse to public funds;
  • prove that the applicant has passed the English language test at CEFR level A1 in listening and speaking only;
  • must present at the time of application a valid medical certificate issued by a medical practitioner approved by the Secretary of State for these purposes, as listed on the website, confirming that they have undergone screening for active pulmonary tuberculosis and that such tuberculosis is not present in the applicant.

Entry clearance as a same sex partner is granted for 33 months. You will be initially granted 30 days entry clearance endorsement on your passport to enable your entry in the UK and within 10 working days of your entry in the UK, you can collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the designated post office which will be valid for 33 months.

If you have same sex partner visa under 5 years partner route, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) a same sex partner upon completion of 5 years residence under 5 years partner route.

The following requirements apply for same sex partner visa applications under 5 years route:

If your application for entry clearance or leave to remain as a same sex partner (5 years route) has been refused by the Home Office UKVI, you can challenge the refusal by way of an immigration appeal to the First Tier Tribunal.

Sunrise Solicitors is the trading name of Sunrise Solicitors Ltd (company registration no. 6405492). Sunrise Solicitors Offices are regulated by SRA under SRA ID 490903 (London Office) and SRA ID 645256 (Manchester Office). Sunrise Solicitors are also members of Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA).


© Sunrise Solicitors 2019 | Privacy Policy