Following are the various frequently asked questions (FAQs) about Tier 2 Sportsperson visa category:

FAQs: Tier 2 Sportsperson

You can apply for a Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa if all of the following apply:

  • you’re an elite sportsperson or qualified coach, who’s recognised by your sport’s governing body as being at the highest level of your profession internationally
  • your sport’s governing body is endorsing your application
  • your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level
  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements

Your sponsor is the governing body endorsing your application. They’ll assign you a certificate of sponsorship to prove they’re sponsoring you.

You will be initially granted leave as Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa for up to 3 years as a result of your application for entry clearance as Tier 2 sportsperson or application for switching into sportsperson category.

You can also apply for renewal/extension of your Tier 2 sportsperson visa for up to another 3 years to a maximum stay of 6 years.

You become eligibly to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) as Tier 2 sportsperson upon completion of 5 years qualifying period in the UK.

You can:

  • work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship
  • do a second job in certain circumstances
  • play for your national team in the UK
  • work as a sports broadcaster
  • do voluntary work
  • study as long as it doesn’t interfere with the job you’re sponsored for
  • travel abroad and return to the UK
  • bring family members with you

You can’t:

  • get public funds
  • start or run a business
  • apply for a second job until you’ve started working for your sponsor

For switching into Tier 2 Sportsperson visa category from inside the UK, you must meet the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) eligibility requirements and you must already be in the UK under any of the following visas or schemes:

  • Tier 1 visa
  • Tier 2 (General) visa
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa
  • Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2010 and you’re applying to change sponsor
  • Tier 4 visa - if you have an eligible qualification or you’ve done at least 12 months of a PhD
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting) for a job as a professional footballer
  • dependent partner of someone with a Tier 4 visa
  • representative of an overseas business

You can prove your knowledge of English by either:

  • passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening
  • having an academic qualification that was taught in English and is recognised by UK NARIC as being equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or PhD

You may be able to meet the English language requirement in other ways or need a higher level of English in some circumstances.

You won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a national of majority English speaking country.

You can challenge the refusal of your application under Tier 2 Sportsperson category by filing an Administrative Review (AR) against the Home Office UKVI decision to refuse your application.

Sunrise Solicitors is the trading name of Sunrise Solicitors Ltd (company registration no. 6405492). Sunrise Solicitors Offices are regulated by SRA under SRA ID 490903 (London Office) and SRA ID 645256 (Manchester Office). Sunrise Solicitors are also members of Immigration Law Practitioners' Association (ILPA).


© Sunrise Solicitors 2019 | Privacy Policy